Learning and Development
We are committed to Somerset being a Learning Organisation with evidenced based practice at the heart of our work with children and families.
We provide a range of high quality professional development opportunities for all our staff mapped to the Professional Capabilities Framework and the Knowledge and Skills Statements. We offer a progressive career pathway depending on whether you wish to step-up to a management role or to be a leader of advanced practice and take on more complex cases. Our Social Work Academy brings together all the training opportunities available to help our staff make the next steps in their career.
- The best quality training, support, mentoring and supervision to help Newly Qualified Social Workers (NQSWs) successfully complete their ASYE and build confidence in the transition from learning to practice
- Mentoring for social workers in the second year of practice
- A focus on quality regular reflective supervision for all staff
- Weekly area based CPD sessions led by our Consultant Social Workers
- Training for experienced staff to become accredited practice educators and supervisors of others
Step Up to Social
Work Somerset County Council are proud to be part of the Step Up to Social Work programme, this is an intensive 14 month, full time programme for trainee Social Workers.
Trainees will work for SCC gaining hands on experience as well as academic learning, finishing the course with a postgraduate diploma in Social Work. Applicants may even be entitled to a bursary for the duration of the course, to find out more about this please visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/step-up-to-social-work-information-for-applicants
Students on the Step Up Programme will have to complete a minimum of 170 days placement within the teams to gain valuable experience in the field, other topics included in this course are
- Social work ethics and practice
- Child development
- Assessment of risk
- Legal framework
To apply or find out more please see the above link.
Effective support is essential in enabling the transition into practicing social work. Our managers recognise the impact of effective NQSW support (including protected time away for training and development) on both the quality of practice and the ability to retain staff who have the potential to become great social workers. That’s why Somerset has a fantastic ASYE year programme in place.
The programme will offer you:
- a protected case load of up to 50% to allow you to access training and development opportunities
- a structured training programme tailored to NQSWs. Time out of work will be given to attend this training.
- workplace learning opportunities within your team including shadowing more experienced staff
- fortnightly supervision for the first 6 months of practice
- a learning and development plan
- observations and assessments
- Child Protection training.
To apply for this role please visit our ‘ready to join’ tab on the top for all current vacancies
Progression and Further Training
Social Workers will have the opportunity to apply for post-qualifying academic training, sponsored by the Council. Being surrounded by some fantastic Universities, we are able to work with them to provide opportunities for masters level post-graduate qualifications. These partnerships will help you to develop the skills and knowledge to help you work as managers or advanced practitioners whilst you progress in your career. Opportunities include
- A range of post graduate modules to support the development of specialist knowledge including from the (MSc) Advanced Social Work with Children and Families Post Graduate Certificate or Diploma programme at Bristol University
- Improving Personal and Organisational Performance (IPOP) Graduate Certificate for leadership and management, accredited through Bournemouth University’s National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work
- Accrediting Reflective Supervision and other PG modules with the University of the West of England